Wednesday, December 18, 2013

An Art Teacher Who Uses Technology


I recently found this article about a current art teacher in Illinois. Her name is Tricia Fuglestad. As I read through the article, I thought of this class and how well she integrated technology into her art classroom.
Fuglestad is an elementary art teacher with such a passion for what she does. One of the things that makes her teaching stand out is that she makes videos and songs to show her classes. One video is a cute and funny approach on how to clean paintbrushes. She creates characters and voices as them, too. It is so great that she managed to effectively teach the students how to clean paintbrushes while maintaining a fun environment. It seems to really work for her. Fuglestad also works nonstop with creating online portfolios of her students’ artwork so they can “proudly share their art with family members near and far”(Stoffel).  I admire any teacher who cares enough to work long hours on projects for their students.
Apparently Fuglestad is famous in the art education world. She has received awards for her work, and speaks publically in conferences. What I admire most is that Fuglestad used to be a very shy person. Getting an education degree and having this job caused her to “break out of her shell.” As a naturally shy person myself, I can relate to that. I am finding as I continue my journey to be an art teacher with subbing and fieldwork, it is helping me break out of my own shell. In time, I hope to manage a classroom as effective as Fuglestad has. I cannot wait to put my lesson plans to use!

Here is a link to the article: http://www.triblocal.com/arlington-heights/2011/12/22/dryden-art-teacher-unites-art-technology/




1 comment:

  1. Your later section of this post about breaking out of your shell and being less shy was wonderful. Thank you for sharing that about yourself. Teachers have all different types of personalities and though they put on a performance for the class, their true personalities are what happens behind closed doors. I am happy for you that you are breaking out of your shell with the teaching experiences, because I feel that I am as well. Getting up in front of a room used to terrify me, but now that I'm older and have experienced sample lessons and observations, I am excited and ready to have a classroom of my own one day! Great post and again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete