Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Computer Software in Art Class

As we progress into our world with technology that grows every day, teaching technology is becoming a huge priority. As a future art teacher, I have struggled with coming up with art lessons involving technology. This is a problem for me because I learned fine arts all throughout my schooling, not programs such as Photoshop, or Adobe Illustrator. Even in college I have not learned enough about these programs to teach them myself. It is something I know little about, and understand how important it is that I learn these programs so that I can teach them.

Knowing how to teach these programs is challenging enough. There is a whole other consideration regarding what programs to teach. Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator are fantastic, but they are so expensive. There are other programs such as Gimp, or ArtWorks Basic that are cheaper. Some art programs are even free! You just need to figure out what is out there, and what would work best with your lesson (and your budget). I have been looking up different programs, just to see what is out there. Gimp is similar to Photoshop, but it is free. Picasa is another free source to store and edit pictures. This would be a good program for a photography class.

There are tons of programs out there; you just need to look. Technology is becoming a big part of our lives. It is important that students get an education that is supported by technology because it is out there in the real world. With any education they are given, they should be able to use once they graduate.


Here is one list of programs with their prices:
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/business-of-art/software-websites

2 comments:

  1. I agree, as art educators we must be proficient in Photoshop and Illustrator, but unfortunately I have only been taught the very basics in Photoshop. They are very expensive and if they are challenging for us, imagine trying to teach students to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this informative blog about computer programs.I agree with all of the points keep up the good work.

    Windows Thin Client & Zero Clients

    ReplyDelete