Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Electronic Devices in School

In the past few years, the middle school I attended has become “technologically friendly.” Now that I am a substitute teacher there, it is such a surreal thing to see students typing essays on their tablets or iPods. Not long ago, the same teachers today would have a fit if they saw an electronic devise in their classroom. As we have learned this semester, technology is not going away. Rather than pushing these tools away, schools are starting to embrace it.

I have seen technology in every subject of this middle school. It is astounding how many resources the students can get on the internet that are relevant to class. The art teacher highly encourages them to bring in their smartphones, iPods, tablets, whatever device they have to listen to music and look up images. He only has two computers in his room. If the students need to look up an image to reference while drawing, he would rather them use their devices than wait for a computer. It saves an immense amount of time! Music is also a great motivator while working in art. For some students, music helps them relax, or stay focused.

In the past year that I have been subbing, I have been very surprised at how well the students and teachers handle this change. The teachers no longer fight to keep cell phones, iPods, and tablets out of class. Because the teachers have eased up on this matter, I think the students feel more trusted. Whenever I sub I keep my eyes on those students with tablets to make sure they are doing school-related work on it. I am thrilled to say that I very rarely catch someone goofing off on their device. I think it really matters that these students feel trusted; in that way, they owe it to the teachers to stay on task. At this school, it seems to be working. I only hope that this kind of learning branches out to other schools and communities.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, times are changing! I think as future art teachers, we will prefer students to bring in their own devices, especially for reference. To be able to personally look up artists work, techniques and images is such an important aspect in the creative process.

    ReplyDelete